HOME CARE BLOG
- Resources for WAHCA Firms to Protect Against Unemployment Fraudby wahcaAs widely reported, COVID-19 and the statewide lockdown resulted in an unprecedented number of unemployment insurance claims. While the vast majority are indeed legitimate, there has been an unfortunate surge in fraudulent claims filed by individuals who are taking advantage of the current situation. The Employment Security Department (the “ESD”) confirmed that its own system […]
- Home Care Agency vs. Private Caregiverby wahcaIt can be tempting to hire a private caregiver at first glance, because their hourly wage may initially seem more affordable than a home care agency’s quote. Beware, there is a big difference between using a home care agency versus a private caregiver. What seems more affordable at the outset can cost you in both […]
- How to Keep Elderly Loved One Socialby wahcaBeing social is beneficial for everyone, but it’s especially important for seniors – especially those who live alone or who care for their aging or declining partner. Regular, positive social interactions are shown to improve health and wellbeing for the elderly population, and multiple studies correlate loneliness or feelings of isolation with increased morbidity and […]
- Questions To Ask A Potential Home Care Providerby wahcaThe more time you have to search for a home care provider, the more likely you are to find the best fit for the client. The ideal is to recognize the signs an aging relative needs support to stay at home, and taking advantage of free, no-obligation, in-home assessments offered by most home care agencies. […]
- Creating a Safer, More Accessible Homeby wahca
Creating a safer, more accessible home is a foundational tenet of aging-in-place because it dramatically reduces the risk of serious injuries that shift the trajectory of an independent senior’s life.
- Connecting Your Loved One With a Caregiverby wahca
The best caregiver-client matches take place when the client and caregiver easily form a bond based on their comfort in each other’s’ presence, along with shared interests, hobbies, and past times.
- 5 Signs That It Might Be Time to Consider Home Careby wahca
Here are a few signs that may indicate that it’s time to have a conversation about considering home care options.
- Build a Strong Camp to Weather Any Stormby wahca
From May 7th to 8th get ready for the Washington Home Care Association’s 12th annual conference, Blooming with the Boomers! The theme of this year’s conference is camping, where the goal is to help you “Build a Strong Camp to Weather Any Storm” in home care!
- Beat Senior Isolation With 10 Spring Activitiesby wahca
Isolation and loneliness exact a significant toll on seniors. Fortunately, our state has many activities and events in the upcoming months that are perfect for those who are looking to get out and engage with others.
- Make the Holidays Brighter for Senior Loved Ones Near and Farby wahcaThe holiday season can be a difficult time for senior citizens. It can range from sadness over the loss of loved ones and friends to anxiety over not being able to purchase gifts for their families. Senior citizens in a nursing home or even in their own homes may not be able to leave and […]
- 10 Great Museums in Washington State for Seniorsby wahca
Here are some of the best museums in Washington State. Whether you love history, space, or art, you’re bound to find something that sparks your interest (and they all offer senior discounts!).
- Our Favorite Mobile Apps for Seniorsby wahca
We typically don’t think of seniors as users of cutting-edge mobile apps, but according to research, more seniors use smartphones than ever before. And as the rest of us age, this number will only increase. With that in mind, we’ve collected our thirteen favorite mobile apps that can help keep your aging relatives social, safe, and happy.